Building your own home really is the ‘Great Aussie Dream’, but the process from ‘dream’ to ‘dream home’ can be daunting for many Perth home builders.
Some people stress about their house being completed on time. Others may feel confused over finances. We’ve put this checklist together so your home builder journey will go as smoothly as possible.
To make sure you don’t forget anything along the way, you might like to take this checklist with you when talking to builders. But the right builder will have everything covered without you having to ask.
DOLLAR$ AND CENT$
- Oh yeah, this purchase is going to be the biggest and most significant of your life so far. So before you get carried away looking at fancy display homes, you’ll need to know what you can afford to spend
- Schedule an initial meeting with your bank or a mortgage broker first, to see if you qualify for finance
- Ask if you’re eligible for any government assistance programs (such as the First Home Owner’s Grant)
- An established, reputable company will have a finance-team on site, which may specialise in first home buyers, making the process even easier!
DREAM IN DISPLAY HOMES
- Once your finance is sorted, you’ll want to start thinking about the design of your new home. The best Perth home builders will have a great selection of display homes which you be browse through to find inspiration. You can get a feel for different builders in Perth by looking through their display homes
- As you walk through a display home, take note of features you like, as well as the ones you feel won’t suit your lifestyle.
- Choosing a block of land for your home is a decision to consider carefully, because you’re going to be there for quite some time! Think about how close the land is to shops, public transport options, schools, gyms, medical facilities and shops
- Check if the block you’re looking at has any restrictive covenants, easements, encumbrances or other things which may cause delays or issues with building
- Make sure the land is large enough for the home you’d like to build
- Note the aspect of the block. Is it facing the right direction to allow you to build your home as you want? Keep in mind the direction of the sun, potential views/outlook.
NEW HOME DESIGNS
- Seeing a house plan for a first time is sometimes a little confusing. Ask your builder to explain and help you get a better idea of what the home will look like in real life
- Check that your builder has included the materials you want in the plans
- Be sure to check the power points, TV antenna and phone points are located exactly where you need them.
NEW HOME COMPLETE
- Finally! You’re officially a home builder, But before you settle in and plan the housewarming, there are a couple of important tasks to take care of
- You’ll need to set up utilities like gas, power and Wi-Fi
- Notify friends, your employer, bank etc. of your new address, or set up a mail redirection service at your local post office
- Arrange for home and contents insurance to cover your brand new home
- Okay, NOW you can plan the house warming! Have fun!
You’ll want to party with Easystart Homes, because they make life easy for Perth home builders.
It’s no wonder they’re the friendly home builders Perth first home buyers love. Click here to find out where you could be living in less than a minute!